An uncommon surviving piece of a Nicholas Barbon unique, Middle Temple's New Court was worked by the theorist in 1676 on part of the greenhouses of Essex House in what might then have been the Outer Temple. Acquired by Queen Elizabeth's top pick, Robert Devereux, from his uncle the Earl of Leicester, it was the scene of his capture before he was carted away to London Palace and after that the Tower where he was executed for high injustice.
Barbon purchased the old house in 1674 and rushed to pull the vast majority of it down on listening to that Charles II rather fancied it as a present for an unwavering hireling. Inside two years he had finished his improvement, the seven-sound square on the west side that we see today being still particularly as he assembled it, and sold it on to the individuals from Middle Temp
Prior to the development of the enormous, L2.5 million London Viaduct in 1869, what had up to this point been Newcastle Street used to swing strongly to one side to interface up with Old Seacoal Lane.
The last name originated from a sort of shabby however poor quality fuel. Second rate compared to charcoal, it was squalid stuff and as ahead of schedule as 1377 Thomas and Alice Yonge educated their legal advisor that, other than ruining the wine and brew in their basement, 'the stench of the smoke from [a neighbour's] seacoal … infiltrates their corridor and chambers so that while in the past they could let the premises for 10 denote a year they are presently worth just 40 shillings.'
Customarily called seacoal in light of the fact that it touched base in the capital by vessel, quite a bit of that delivered to London originated from Tyneside – coals to London, and all that – thus the name here, as it is near where the fuel would have been emptied onto wharves arranged along the River Fleet during an era when canal boats could go similarly as Ludgate.